The First 50 Years of North Harrow Lodge No.6557
Examinations into our history gave indications that there is some evidence that an attempt to form a Lodge was first made in 1939 with the formation of the North Harrow Masonic Association. No further mention can be found of this association and it can only be assumed that it ceased as a result of the second world war.
The North Harrow Lodge as we know it today started when members of the Home Guard used to meet in an old building situated in what is now the North Harrow Car Park. The building was, at that time, owned by Harrow Council and was used by the Home Guard both during and after World War 11.
At this time it was decided to form a club consisting of members and retired members of the Home Guard, local businessmen and residents. After a license to serve alcohol was obtained the premises were used for meetings and social functions. The hall being some what small made for a friendly and informal atmosphere in comfortable surroundings.
In time membership of the club grew and it became known that many of the members were Freemasons from lodges scattered around London and the Provinces. It was decided at a meeting of the Club to endeavour to form a Masonic Lodge to be called the “North Harrow Home Guard Lodge”.
Following this meeting several members approached W.Bro. Bert Helliwell of the Hegeston Lodge for his advice as to how they should proceed. There first obstacle was the name. Grand Lodge refused permission for the words “Home Guard” to be used in the title. The name was changed and as a result of a petition submitted by W Bro. Helliwell and members of the Hegeston lodge to the Grand Lodge of England, a warrant was granted for the formation of the North Harrow Lodge No. 6557.
On the 30th January 1948, the Lodge was formally Consecrated at Freemasons’ Hall, Great Queen Street, London, WC2.
In recognition of his advice and assistance, W Bro. Bert Helliwell was appointed as the first Master of the Lodge.
The collar jewels which are still in use today were presented to the Lodge by the Founders and First Officers.
W.Bro. B I HELLIWELL, PGStdB, PPGD
W.Bro. F J WEARING, LGR
W.Bro. R C WHITTOME
W.Bro. F E BECKHAM, PPrGStwd, LGR
W.Bro. J H HOLLIS, PPrGD, LGR
W.Bro. L G CROUCHER
W.Bro. C E M ANDERSEN, LGR
W.Bro. C J TUNNICLIFFE
W.Bro. E ANDERSEN
W.Bro. V E KILLICK, PPrAGDC, LGR W.Bro. C H SMITH, PPrGStwd
W.Bro. JWC HART
W.Bro. H F GORMAN, PPrGD, LGR
W.Bro. D A MOODIE, PPrAGDC
W.Bro. W G SEWARD
W.Bro. T A DANIELS, PPrAGDC, LGR
W.Bro. W L SNOWDIN, PPrGW
W.Bro. W B KESTON
W.Bro. S T BADKIN, PPrAGDC, LGR
Bro. W J OLD, PPrGStwd
The Ceremony of Consecration was performed by:
R.W.Bro. A.Burnett Brown, PGW – Provincial Grand Master
W.Bro. J.Herbert Bankes, DL. PGD – Deputy Provincial Grand Master
W.Bro. Norman Moore, M.A., PAGDC – Assistant Provincial Grand Master